Thank you for your submissions! The application process is closed.
Further Information will be released around the end of January
DAAD Doctoral Scholarship Preselection by ZMT
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS | DAAD Doctoral Scholarship |CALL IS OVER
for scholars from Sub-Sahara Africa
with ZMT on topics of “Adaptation of marine socio-ecological systems to changing environments”
Application Deadline: 20.12.2020
The Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research (ZMT) advertises 2 doctoral scholarships starting in Fall 2021. Additionally, 2 further doctoral scholarship can be granted starting in 2022.
The scholarships will be granted by the DAAD and are funded by the Graduate School Scholarship Programme (GSSP). ZMT will make a preselection and nominates successful applicants to DAAD. With the following application you apply for the process of preselection by ZMT.
The scholarships are related to the interdisciplinary research topic “Adaptation of marine socio-ecological systems to changing environments”. The ecosystems along the densely populated coasts of the tropical belt are particularly affected by severe global, regional and local environmental changes. Possibilities and consequences of the adaptation of biological and social systems to these progressive changes are to be investigated through different, mutually complementary research approaches. This topic is open for different disciplinary approaches and interdisciplinary cooperation.
The ZMT Academy coordinates a structured doctoral program based on the ZMT Doctoral Studies Regulations. The university, that issues the doctoral degree, depends on the supervisor and the topic. Scholarship holders are based at ZMT in Bremen and will be fully integrated at the institute and in the ZMT doctoral program.
The doctoral projects of the scholarship holders are based on one of the following ZMT departments and one working group. The working group leader acts as main scientific supervisors.
I. Details about the DAAD Scholarship
The scholarships will be granted for up to 4 years (upon successful evaluation each year) and will be granted directly by the DAAD.
The scholarship includes:
- a scholarship installment of currently €1,200 per month;
- travel allowance;
- payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover;
- a research allowance of currently €460 per year
- a preparatory intensive German language course starting in Summer 2021
- under certain circumstances, grant holders may receive monthly allowance for accompanying family members (about €200 child allowance per child and about € 275 marriage allowance);
- Research Stays abroad are possible if they do not take longer than 25% of the scholarship period.
Applicants need to originate from Sub-Sahara Africa. They need to hold a university degree (international degrees must be equivalent to German “Diplom”, “Magister” or “Master”). The last final exam (Master’s degree or equivalent) must have taken place no longer than six years ago. At the time when DAAD receives the nomination letter (March 2021), applicants must not have resided in Germany for more than 15 months prior to the nomination. ZMT strives to increase the proportion of women in research and encourages females to apply for these positions.
III. Application Procedure
The application consists of
- Personal details
- Your CV (max 2 pages)
- Concept of your Doctoral project related to the above mentioned topic: max 2-page. This concept has to be discussed and approved by a ZMT workgroup leader before submitting it. Please contact the ZMT workgroup leader beforehand!
- Letter of support from ZMT workgroup leader
- Letter of Reference from 2 referees (according to this template)
- Letter of Motivation (Why would you like to pursue a doctoral project at ZMT? Why do you think the suggested working groups could fit your interests?) – max 1 page
- Master and Bachelor degree certificates
Step 2. After a pre-selection based on the written application potential candidates will have the opportunity to submit a 5-10-page project proposal and present their project to a ZMT selection committee in a video interview.
Step 3. Selected candidates will be nominated by ZMT to the DAAD for the scholarship. A formal DAAD application needs to be submitted by the nominated candidates.
Selection Criteria are the professional profile of the applicant (academic & professional background), the overall quality and fit of the proposal into the overarching topic “Adaptation of marine socio-ecological systems to changing environments” and ZMT`s research profile and the personal profile of the applicant (e.g. motivation, non-academic activities).
ZOOM Meeting Info-Meeting ZMT DAAD Scholarship, DEC 9, 09:30 (UTC+1)
Join our Info-meeting via Zoom if you have any questions about the program! We are looking forward to talk!
Time: Dec 9, 2020 09:30 AM (Timezone Germany | UTC +1) Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 884 2614 1093
One tap mobile
+16699009128,,88426141093# US (San Jose)
+12532158782,,88426141093# US (Tacoma)