Social energy manifests itself in the resolution, and perseverance of individual and collective actors in pursuit of a goal. Ideally, social energy supports eventually self-organizing individual and collective efforts to meet challenges and opportunities in the organisation of resource use. Social energy is indispensable if change dynamics towards a common good are to prevail over the longer term.
The main objective of this research project is to identify what impedes and promotes social energy for sustainable human-nature relations over time. We focus on regions in which ZMT has long-term (a decade or more) direct involvement
Partelow, S., M. Glaser, S. Solano Arce, R. Sá Leitão Barboza, and A. Schlüter (2018). Mangroves, fishers, and the struggle for adaptive co-management: applying the social-ecological systems framework to a marine extractive reserve (RESEX) in Brazil. Ecology and Society 23(3):19.
Glaser, M., Breckwoldt, A., Carruthers, T., Forbes, D., Costanzo, S., Kelsey, H., Stead, S. (2018). Towards a framework to support coastal change governance in small islands. Environmental Conservation, 1-11.
Pires de Lima, A, Mathis A and Glaser M (in prep) The social energy concept in social-ecological systems analysis
International presentations on social energy
- University of Canterbury, Kent, UK February 2017
- University of the Liberal Arts Bangladesh, November 2017
- Universidade de São Paulo, Universidade Federal do Pará November & December 2018
- Delfs Malin (in prep) Environmental Governance in Belize: People, Places, Protection (Master thesis)
- Pires de Lima, Ailton (in prep) Sustainable development in the Amazon: The dynamics of social energy in Marine and Coastal Extractive Reserves (PhD thesis)
- Further recruitment of MSc & PhD candidates
- Search for funding
Armin Mathis and Lucinaldo Blandtt (NAEA/UFPA, Pará, Brazil
Neila Cabral (IFPA, Pará, Brazil)
Sharon Palacio (University of Belize, Belize, Central America)
Samiya Selim (University of the Liberal Arts/Center for Sustainable Development, Dhaka, Bangladesh)