ZMT employs around 200 people in various fields. We want to do excellent science for the sustainable use of our natural resources. To do so, we need employees who work independently, innovatively and creatively and at the same time have reliable service structures and working conditions.
Current job openings can be found here.
- Onboarding Process. We'd like everyone feel at home at ZMT and view the high number of international colleagues and guests at our institute as an integral part of our institutional community. Therefore, ZMT offers a structured onboarding process for new staff members and researchers including a welcome package, a Welcome Day (with a guided tour through ZMT and labs, meet and greet with the directors and other staff members). Training in Intercultural Communication is also available on a regular base.
- Audit Beruf und Familie. In 2018, ZMT was certified for its family-friendliness by the external audit berufundfamilie (working life and family). Our employees can benefit from family-oriented measures at ZMT. These currently include, for example, very extensive flexibility in the organisation of working hours (trust-based working hours) and part-time work. ZMT offers advice on parental leave, reserves day-care places for its employees and offers families the opportunity to use the parent-child room when bringing children to work. See also: https://www.leibniz-zmt.de/en/work-study/work-life-balance.html
- Continuing Education. Staff members but also students and guest scientists can attend courses offered in the framework of the ZMT Academy. The institute supports participation in educational leave (“Bildungszeit”) and other activities in the field of continuing education. In this context, ZMT introduced a course series in Connecting Communication to support the level of communication and exchange in our organisation.
- German Language Courses. International employees and guests can join a weekly German language course. The courses are offered together with other marine research institutes (e.g. MPI, MARUM) and are free of charge for international scientists. Please ask Dr. Janine Reinhard for details.
- Social Activities & Communication. A good working atmosphere and regular exchange is important to us. On Tuesday mornings, all employees and guests, including the management of ZMT, meet for the 'Palaver', a 20-minute exchange on current topics and projects. Shared kitchens and, as a gesture of the institute, tea and coffee and a weekly fruit basket are available to all employees
- Workspaces. We want to provide our employees with a work environment where they can work inspiredly, creatively and healthily. The ZMT premises are encouraging professional and social exchange.
- Health. The ZMT offers all employees and guests sports activities (for example running training, back-training courses). Every week, a physiotherapist comes to the institute to offer massages which can be booked at staff members' expense. Examinations by the company doctor are available to all employees.