2006 : Bachelor of Technology in Engineering physics, Indian Institute of Technology Madras
2008: Erasmus Mundus Master of Science in Photonics (Belgium and Scotland)
2012: European Scientific Diver, AIOSS
2014: PhD, Max Planck Institute for Marine Microbiology, Bremen
2017: Advanced European Scientific Diver, AIOSS
- A documentary film "Oceans of the future" highlighted how the HyperDiver can help to monitor and understand coral reefs. See: https://youtu.be/bSD_7P0rnwg
- A short informational video about HyperDiver from MPI Bremen. See: https://youtu.be/v56hAf8SjYY
- Possible link between Earth's rotation rate and oxygenation. Using numerical modeling and lab measurements, we demonstrated a mechanistic link between the length of day on Earth, which is influenced by the Moon, and the amount of oxygen exported by ground-dwelling bacteria. This daylength effect was likely a significant driver of oxygenation of the early Earth, and may help expain the much-debated pattern of oxygenation of Earth.
- The research is presented in an article I co-authored with Dr. Judith Klatt published Aug 2021 in Nature Geoscience.
- Publicity for this work is in the top 99th percentile of published research, with an Altmetric Attention Score of 1654 (Nov 2021). It ranks #5 among all tracked publications in Nature Geoscience, and in top 4000 of all tracked 19.5 million publications.
- Press relases from ZMT, MPI and UMich
- Reports have appeared in Science, Popular Science, New Scientist, National Geographic and others.
- Hermann Neuhaus Prize from the Max Planck Society. In 2018, the Max Planck Foundation and the Hermann Neuhaus Foundation bestowed the first ever Hermann Neuhaus Prize in recognition of achievements towards marine habitat mapping with the invention of the HyperDiver and supporting a spin-off company.
- Annette Barthelt Prize for best dissertation. In 2016, I received the Annette-Barthelt-Stiftung's prize for best doctoral dissertation in marine sciences.
- Articles about HyperDiver
Schürholz, D.; Castellanos-Galindo, G. A.; Casella, E.; Mejía-Rentería, J. C. & Chennu, A. Seeing the Forest for the Trees: Mapping Cover and Counting Trees from Aerial Images of a Mangrove Forest Using Artificial Intelligence. Remote Sensing 2023, 15-3334, doi:10.3390/rs15133334.
- Schürholz, D. & Chennu, A. Digitizing the coral reef: Machine learning of underwater spectral images enables dense taxonomic mapping of benthic habitats. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 2023, 14, 496-613, doi:10.1111/2041-210X.14029.
- Klatt, J.M*.; Chennu, A*.; Arbic, B.K.; Biddanda, B.A.; Dick, G.J. Possible Link between Earth’s Rotation Rate and Oxygenation. Nat. Geosci. 2021, doi:10.1038/s41561-021-00784-3.
- Cimoli, E.; Lucieer, V.; Meiners, K.M.; Chennu, A.; Castrisios, K.; Ryan, K.G.; Lund-Hansen, L.C.; Martin, A.; Kennedy, F.; Lucieer, A. Mapping the in Situ Microspatial Distribution of Ice Algal Biomass through Hyperspectral Imaging of Sea-Ice Cores. Scientific Reports 2020, 10, 21848, doi:10.1038/s41598-020-79084-6.
- Rashid, A.R.; Chennu, A. A Trillion Coral Reef Colors: Deeply Annotated Underwater Hyperspectral Images for Automated Classification and Habitat Mapping. Data 2020, 5, 19, doi:10.3390/data5010019.
- Chennu, A. MicroBenthos: A Modeling Framework for Microbial Benthic Ecology. JOSS 2018, 3, 674, doi:10.21105/joss.00674.
- Chennu, A.; Färber, P.; De’ath, G.; Beer, D. de; Fabricius, K.E. A Diver-Operated Hyperspectral Imaging and Topographic Surveying System for Automated Mapping of Benthic Habitats. Scientific Reports 2017, 7, 7122, doi:10.1038/s41598-017-07337-y.
- Chennu, A.; Färber, P.; Volkenborn, N.; Al-Najjar, M.A.A.; Janssen, F.; de Beer, D.; Polerecky, L. Hyperspectral Imaging of the Microscale Distribution and Dynamics of Microphytobenthos in Intertidal Sediments. Limnology and Oceanography: Methods 2013, 11, 511–528, doi:10.4319/lom.2013.11.511.