We are interested in marine ecological and evolutionary processes in the tropics and their implications in the context of global change, management and conservation. Such processes include for example dispersal, adaptation, speciation and adaptive radiation. We work mostly on reef fishes, but are keen to also consider other marine organisms. Our main tool is population genomics, which we often complement with other approaches such as behavior or theory. Recent and ongoing projects in the lab are as varied as the genomic bases of speciation and adaptive radiation, dispersal in the context of artisanal fisheries and marine protected areas, the analysis of color pattern in reef fishes, animal personality, mimicry or the evolution of egg trading in simultaneous hermaphrodites. We have strong links with the Institute for Chemistry and Biology of the Marine Environment (ICBM) at the University of Oldenburg (https://uol.de/en/icbm), where my professorship is based, as well as with the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Panama (https://stri.si.edu/) where I am a Research Associate. See our lab webpage (http://www.puebla-lab.org/) for details, updates and news.
- Group Leader
Prof. Dr. Oscar Puebla
Dr. Martin Helmkampf, Dr. Melanie Heckwolf
- Doctoral Candidates
Floriane Coulmance, Estradivari Estradivari, Sabrin Abdelghany, Serra Örey
- M.Sc. Students
Kirsti Burnett, Phuong Dung Doan, Nina Rebecca Tombers, Finn Opätz
Kosmas Hench, Syrmalenia Kotronaki
News / Current
- Marcos, C., Díaz, D., Fietz, K., Forcada, A., Ford, A., García-Charton, J.-A., Goñi, R., Lenfant, P., Mallol, S., Mouillot, D., Pérez-Marcos, M., Puebla, O., Manel, S., Pérez-R.A. (2021). Reviewing the Ecosystem Services, Societal Goods, and Benefits of Marine Protected Areas. Frontiers in Marine Science 8, pp. 613819. DOI: 10.3389/fmars.2021.613819. OPEN ACCESS
- Benestan, L., Fietz, K., Loiseau, N., Guerin, P.E., Trofimenko, E., Rühs, S., Schmidt, C., Rath, W., Biastoch, A., Perez-Ruzafa, A., Baixauli, P., Forcada, A., Arcas, E., Lenfant, P., Mallol, S., Goñi, R., Velez, L., Höppner, M., Kininmonth, S., Mouillot, D., Puebla, O., Manel, S. (2021). Restricted dispersal in a sea of gene flow. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 288(1951), pp. 20210458. DOI: 10.1098/rspb.2021.0458.
- de Jonge, D.S.W., Merten, V., Bayer, T., Puebla, O., Reusch, T.B.H., Hoving, H.-J.T. (2021). A novel metabarcoding primer pair for environmental DNA analysis of Cephalopoda (Mollusca) targeting the nuclear 18S rRNA region. Royal Society Open Science 8(2), pp. 1-16. DOI: 10.1098/rsos.201388. OPEN ACCESS
- Peña, G., Nöldeke, G., Puebla, O. (2020). The evolution of egg trading in simultaneous hermaphrodites. The American Naturalist 195(3), pp. 524-533. DOI: 10.1086/707016.
- Fietz, K., Trofimenko, E., Guerin, P.-E., Arnal, V., Torres-Oliva, M., Lobréaux, S., Pérez-Ruzafa, A., Manel, S., Puebla, O. (2020). New genomic resources for three exploited Mediterranean fishes. Genomics 112(6), pp. 4297-4303. DOI: 10.1016/j.ygeno.2020.06.041.